The Counseling Process:
Counseling sessions are typically scheduled in our Norwalk office but can also be at your place of business or other locations that are mutually convenient.
A counselor will be assigned to you based on your description of what you need and our evaluation of who can work with you to find answers. Often we will co-counsel to give you the benefit of more experience. The lead counselor may also ask other counselors to join in if they have particular expertise that would be helpful. If you do not feel you are getting what you need, you can request a change of counselors.
The Counseling sessions are normally 1 to 1.5 hours. Good business practices apply to all businesses. At the first session, your counselor will tell you about his or her background and will try to understand as much as possible about what advice you are seeking. Often your counselor will give you homework to do before the next session.
Typical homework assignments are:
- Decide on the legal framework for your company.
- Market research to better understand and define your market.
- Develop a cash flow projection.
- Start organizing sections of a Simplified Business Plan, such as your market, your management, and organization, your financial results or projections.
Most of our clients do not need more than a 4 or 5 page Business Plan plus financials. Even if you are a 1 person business, you should create a plan as your roadmap of where you want to go and how you will get there. Your counselor will help you organize and do this.
Very few clients can get all their answers in 1 session. We will meet with you as frequently and for as long a time as you find helpful. We will brainstorm ideas with you to help refine your approach.
What You Can Expect From Us:
- Personal counseling and mentoring provided at no cost to you.
- The respect and confidential advice of professional business people.
- Practical ideas from people “who have been there” and made a success of it.
- Non-confrontational discussions - like talking to trusted friends and family.
- Counselors who are experts or have access to experts on most business issues.
- We are available to help you define and analyze your needs, then help you find solutions.