Gain Knowledge and Professional Guidance
SCORE Fairfield County mentors deliver valuable, timely, and practical advice at no cost to you. You can review our mentoring process, and what you can expect from us during our process.
The Mentoring Process:
Mentoring sessions are typically scheduled in our Norwalk headquarters or our four branch locations in Bridgeport, Fairfield, Greenwich and Shelton, but can also be at your place of business or other locations that are mutually convenient.
A lead mentor will be assigned to you based on your description of what you need and our evaluation of who can work with you to find answers. The lead mentor may also ask other mentors to join in if they have particular expertise that would be helpful. If you do not feel you are getting what you need, you can always request a change of mentors.
The mentoring sessions are typically 1 to 1.5 hours. Good business practices apply to all businesses. At the first session, your mentor will tell you about his or her background and will try to understand as much as possible about what advice you are seeking. Often your mentor will give you homework to do before the next session.
Typical homework assignments are:
- Decide on the legal framework for your company.
- Market research to better understand and define your market.
- Develop a cash flow projection.
- Start organizing sections of a Simplified Business Plan, such as your market, your management, and organization, your financial results or projections.
Most of our clients do not need more than a simple Business Plan outline though depending on specific business needs a more comprehensive plan may be called for. Even if you are a one-person business, you should create a plan as your roadmap of where you want to go and how you will get there. Your mentor will help you organize and do this.
Very few clients can get all their answers in a single session. We will meet with you as frequently and for as long a time as you find helpful. We will brainstorm ideas with you to help refine your approach and guide you along the way.
What you can expect from us:
- Personal mentoring provided at no cost to you.
- The respect and confidential advice of professional experienced business people.
- Practical ideas from people “who have been there” and made a success of it.
- Non-confrontational discussions - like talking to trusted friends and family.
- Mentors who are experts or have access to experts on most business issues.
- We are available to help you define and analyze your needs, then help you find solutions.
The Fairfield County Chapter has over 130 volunteer mentors with a broad mix of entrepreneurial, management, and small business experience. Our SCORE volunteers use their expertise and enthusiasm to help implement proven business practices to aid our clients in accomplishing their business objectives.